Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Matin Luther King Jr. Evening-

For Martin Luther King day, we had a discussion with our kids about what his dreams were, what they meant to him and what he had to do to accomplish them. We had our kids write down some of their dreams and what they need to do to accomplish them. We want so much for our kids to follow their dreams and desires, whatever they may be!

We also decided our family theme for the year is
JUST DO IT
 which goes along nicely with our talk on dreams.
I must be getting old or maybe it is the pain medicine I am on but I have been deep in thought and had a greater appreciation about life lately.  When I read an amazing article or quote, talk to a friend, see something beautiful or hear a great song, have a late night chat with my husband, hear my children laughing, watch an inspiring movie, take a good picture, organize something, sing...whatever it is- I am so happy and it makes me realize more and more how beautiful life is and how much I love and cherish every moment with my family!


Weekends are the best and we had such a great one together!
And of course we ended it with some seriously divine cake that the girls and I made together.
Now back to the hustle and bustle of a busy week... at least it's a shorter one!

Jason sent me this article yesterday and I loved every bit of it.....
From Seth Grodin's Blog...
A check in your wallet does you very little good. It represents opportunity, sure, but not action.

Most of us are carrying around a check, an opportunity to make an impact, to do the work we're capable of, to ship the art that would make a difference.

No, the world isn't fair, and most people don't get all the chances they deserve. There are barriers due to income, to race, to social standing and to education, and they are inexcusable and must fall. But the check remains, now more than ever. The opportunity to step up and to fail (and then to fail again, and to fail again) and to continue failing until we succeed is greater now than it has ever been.

As Martin Luther King Junior spoke about a half a lifetime ago,

"We are now faced with the fact, my friends, that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there is such a thing as being too late. Procrastination is still the thief of time. Life often leaves us standing bare, naked, and dejected with a lost opportunity. The tide in the affairs of men does not remain at flood -- it ebbs. We may cry out desperately for time to pause in her passage, but time is adamant to every plea and rushes on. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words, "Too late."



So...just do it!

No comments: